Auto Parts Search
Suzuki Grand Vitara Engine >> CAMSHAFT & CRANKSHAFT TIMING CHAIN ALIGNMENT FOR 2.5L SUZUKI
Camshaft & Crankshaft Timing Chain Alignment For
1998-2003 Suzuki 2.5L, DOHC V-6 Engines
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information regarding camshaft and crankshaft timing chain alignment on 1998-2003 Suzuki 2.5L, DOHC V-6 engines. These engines are used in the Grand Vitara vehicles. Suzuki uses an intricate timing chain arrangement, which is different from the right to left bank.
To correctly install the numerous chains and gears on this engine, start on the right hand bank or passenger side and follow the steps and diagrams listed below.
1. Install the right hand (RH) camshaft-to-camshaft timing chain tensioner adjustor as viewed in figure 1, torque bolts (a) to 8 ft/lbs.
2. Install the RH second timing chain, matching alignment marks of the yellow or silver links with camshaft sprockets as viewed in Figure 2.
3. Install the crankshaft sprocket and turn the crankshaft keyway up (12 o?clock position) as in Figure 3.
4. Align the RH intake camshaft timing mark as shown in Figure 4 and tighten the camshaft sprocket to 58 ft/lbs.
5. Install timing chain with silver plates to matching RH camshaft sprocket timing marks as in Figure 5.
6. Install the 1st chain around valley idler sprocket, then over the LH side idler sprocket, aligning the silver links of 1st chain to idler sprocket timing marks in Figure 6.
7. Install 1st chain matching with gold or yellow plates with crankshaft sprocket Figure 7.
8. Caution: turning crankshaft while the timing chain is off will bend valves.
9. Align timing marks on LH #2 idler and crankshaft sprocket as in Figure 8.
10. Align camshaft dowel pins with match marks on the cylinder head in Figure 9.
11. Install by aligning match marks (2) on yellow plate of LH 2nd timing chain and idler sprocket #2 as in Figure #10.
12. Hold the camshaft using a spanner wrench see figure #11 on the hexagonal section of the camshaft to hold it stationary. Install sprockets to intake and exhaust camshafts by aligning silver plate of LH #2 timing chain, match marks on intake sprocket and exhausts respectively in Figure #11. Torque the sprockets to 58 ft/lbs.
13. Caution: Do not turn camshafts more than necessary. If turned excessively, valve and piston may get damaged.
14. Install timing #3 chain tensioner compressed and plunger retained with a pin in Figure 12.
15. Tighten timing chain tensioner bolt c 18 ft/lbs, bolt d 32.5 ft/lbs tightening order 1, 2 & 3 see Figure 13.
16. Assembled front view as shown in Figure #14.
The AERA Technical Committee
Looking for replacement Suzuki Grand Vitara engines? Visit our online Rebuilt Engines Store. Need to fix your Suzuki Grand Vitara engine? Access here the comprehensive online repair guide for your Suzuki Grand Vitara engine. Click Here to find a used Suzuki Grand Vitara engine.
Shop online for auto body parts, engines, wheels, lights...
|2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Grille Trim, A high quality, direct fit OE replacement grille molding; Backed by 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty..||$26.42|
|2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Mirror, Passenger Side, This OE replacement mirror is primered and made of the highest quality, rust and corrosion resistant materials to withstand all types of weather.</p><p><b>AutoTrust Gold</b> products are guaranteed to meet or exceed the original manufacturer's standards and quality; <b>Backed by a 5-year limited warranty</b>; If the part breaks or is damaged - even if you are involved in a wreck or accident - anytime within 5 years from purchase, simply cover shipping and handling and we will send you a new part.</p>.||$106.98|
|2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara Door Mirror Passenger Side, Passenger Side Power Door Mirror; Black; Without Heated Glass, , .||$103.50|
|2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6, 3.2 L, 196 CID Rebuilt Engine, Warranty: 3-Year/100,000 Mile, .||Ad Hoc|
|2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara Used Hood, 4DR, RED, VITARA 7ML, Very Good.||$302.00|
|2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara Used A/C Compressor, 2.4, AUTO, 4X2 (Grand), 2.4L, Very Good.||$277.00|
Help me find
Search DIY repair manuals by VIN...
Need To Fix Your Car or Truck?
Try Our Repair Service Finder
Help me find