Auto Parts Search
Transmission Repair: A Stitch on Time
Maintaining a vehicle is a necessity due to economic and safety reasons. In case you are facing some problem with the transmission of your vehicle, the following tips on repair may prove to be of a great help. Repairing it yourself will save money, time and will also reduce the repair anxieties by ensuring that your money is well spent.
- You should know your vehicle very well and be aware of the alterations in the driving style of your vehicle. The Engine Light On must be checked, slipping or any kind of sound must be diagnosed immediately for safety.
- Today's transmission is fitted with numerous parts most of which are computer controlled. So if you are facing some problem with the transmission never base your decision on the price suggested over the phone. Your vehicle might be in need of computer scanning for "Check Transmission or Check Engine" Light.
- The common symptoms to look for if your transmission needs a repair or not are noises, vibrations or leaks that can indicate a number of problems. Also the parts located outside the transmission can also lead to malfunctions in the latest transmissions. You can contact a transmission technician who can diagnose the problem properly along with providing you with an estimate if you think that a second opinion will be useful.
- A major cause behind premature failure of the transmission is excessive heat. Get your vehicle checked in case it overheats. Overheating can be the result of heavy loads which is a regular thing with the work vehicles. Towing can reduce the life of the transmission fluid. You can make use of an auxiliary or an external transmission oil cooler. Get the cooling system of the vehicle checked regularly and get it repaired without much delay.
- All transmissions work on the hydraulic system operating with the transmission fluid. The transmission shifts gears with the help of the fluid. Low level of fluid decreases the pressure resulting in overheating of the vehicle along with an excessive wear. Low fluid level leads to immediate failure. Also for the transmission's normal working the fluid has to be at an operating temperature. Let the engine heat up before driving the vehicle which might be a problem during winters.
Finally, maintenance is the mantra for keeping away from major expensive and time consuming repairs. Get the automatic transmission of your vehicle serviced regularly changing the filter and fluid if they are disposable.
Check the fluid level of the transmission once in every month. Ideally it should be full and red in color (in the maximum number of vehicles). In case you have to add fluid very often, get it checked for leaks. To detect a fluid leak in the transmission, look for an oil stain below the vehicle center. If that is the case get it repaired from the transmission shop immediately.
Shop online for auto body parts, engines, wheels, lights...
|2006 Toyota Camry Door Handle, Front Or Rear, Passenger Side, With chrome lever; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement door handle; With 3 years limited CertifiedXL warranty..||$11.40|
|2007 Chrysler Town & Country Grille Assembly, With emblem provision; A high quality, OE replacement complete grille and shell assembly; Backed by 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty..||$77.08|
|2007 Volkswagen Jetta Aftermarket Wheel Covers, AFTERMARKET WHEEL COVERS, 15 INCH, SILVER ABS 10 SLOT, SPRING STEEL CLIP APPLICATION, , .||$25.45|
|1993 Ford Mustang LX L4, 2.3 L, 140 CID Rebuilt Engine, FI, Ranger, roller rockers, dual plug head, Warranty: 7-Year/70,000 Mile, .||$1,661.00|
|2012 Infiniti M35H Used Wiper Motor Front, WMF, Very Good.||$119.00|
|2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Used Cargo Cover, Specify color, Very Good.||$81.00|