Auto Parts Search
Intake Manifold Leak Repair
Give Your Engine A Long Life With An Intake Manifold Repair
The engine provides the driving force to any automobile. It consists of two main units, namely, intake manifold and exhaust manifold. As the names clearly indicate their functioning modules, the former is responsible for supplying the air-fuel mixture to the cylinder whereas the latter governs the exhaust mechanism of the engine. Here we'll outline the functioning, maintenance and repairing tips of the intake manifold system of your vehicle. Manifold intake system simply means the folding together of several inputs and outputs together.
Intake manifold mainly functions to distribute the air-fuel mixture uniformly into each intake port of the engine. This is really necessary for maximizing the efficiency of the engine. A partial vacuum gets generated in the intake manifold system due to downward movement of the piston and the resistance offered by the throttle valve. This vacuum can be used as an implicit power for driving the auxiliary systems. Previously these were made up of the cast-iron but it is replaced by composite plastic systems in modern scenario. The system has a 'swirl' which continuously sprays the fuel droplets and thereby ensuring that a homogeneous mixture of air and fuel will reach the engine. If the system gets a leakage, then it can be considered as an alarming situation as it could mean damage of the engine. The situation must be tackled with immediately.
Maintenance and Repairing Tips for Intake Manifold Leakage
There are certain maintenance measures can be taken to ensure longer life for the intake manifold system. These include cleaning, lubricating, rustproofing, etc. However, most of the maintenance work in an intake manifold system can only be done during the servicing of the vehicle, as it needs a specialized handling in it.
However, if oil is leaking out of the intake manifold system, then immediate steps must be taken to get it fixed. It can be done in following ways:
- Turn-off the battery before you start up. Start with removing the air ducts and the nylon fuel rail.
- After removing the fuel-rail, detach the injector connectors by pressing the wires with your fingers. Now cast out the vacuum line joined to fuel pressure regulator. Just loosen up the rubber rings with the help of a screwdriver.
- Next, with the help of socket, remove the alternator brace, throttle cable cover and the throttle cables. Its time to take out the throttle body from the intake manifold. Just drain up your radiator for an effective working of the body.
- Finally detach the EGR pipe by loosening the two nuts attached to it. There is no need to loosen the gasket as it ca be reused.
- You are now exposed to the intake manifold of your engine. The gasket material of the intake manifold must be cleaned properly.
- Look out for the exact cause of leakage there and if this seems to be a tricky to you then avoid doing anything into it.
The intake manifolds are generally too complicated to handle at home and any changes in these systems must be tackled by a qualified technician.
Shop online for auto body parts, engines, wheels, lights...
|2002 Ford F-150 Bumper Trim, Front, Made from tough impact-resistant plastic for maximum durability and tensile strength; Built to exact OE quality, fit, and finish; With 1-year limited Matheny warranty..||$25.87|
|2011 Toyota Camry Antenna, 4-section mast; 1200 mm cable; With top and side key; A high quality universal fender mount antenna; May require modification or other adjustment to your vehicle upon installation; Backed by 1-year, unlimited-mileage warranty..||$5.62|
|2010 Volkswagen Passat Full Mirror Covers, FULL MIRROR COVERS, 2 PIECE SET , , .||$42.55|
|1993 Ford Mustang LX L4, 2.3 L, 140 CID Rebuilt Engine, FI, Ranger, roller rockers, dual plug head, Warranty: 3-Year/100,000 Mile, .||$1,661.00|
|2013 Infiniti JX35 Used Air Flow Meter/Sensor, 4.0, AUTO, RWD, Very Good.||$69.00|
|2004 Kia Amanti Used Harmonic Balancer, 2624010 NEW, AFTERMARKET.||$174.00|