Auto Parts Search
KIA Engine >> CAMSHAFT TIMING PROCEDURE
Camshaft Timing Procedure For
1995-2000 Kia 2.0L VIN 3 Engines
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on camshaft timing for 1995-2000 Kia 2.0L VIN 3 engines. This engine is a dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) design. Maintaining the camshaft timing during belt installation is crucial. Previously published service information has been reported to be incomplete.
The camshaft sprockets for this engine are I for the intake cam and E for the exhaust cam as shown in Figure 1 below. The sprockets, however, have two locator notches machined 180° from each other within the inside bore diameter. Previously published information does not include the pin location of each camshaft. The correct location for the camshaft locating pin is up and pointing toward the I & E on the cam sprocket.
Timing belt installation is best done with four hands if the camshaft positioner tool Part # is not available. It is extremely important to keep the belt taut on the belt tensioner side while installing the timing belt.
1. Position cam sprockets on camshafts with cam locating pin up towards I &
E, and then torque the bolt to 42 ft/lbs (56 N.m).
2. Position crank, cam sprockets as shown below.
3. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolt, move tensioner to remove any belt tension
and lock tensioner in place by tightening bolt.
4. Route timing belt around crank sprocket.
5. Route timing belt around cam sprockets, keeping belt taut on tensioner side.
6. Continue rotating engine using crankshaft bolt in clockwise direction two
revolutions making sure belt does not leave cam sprockets.
7. Stop rotating when the S mark on exhaust cam sprocket lines up with top
marking on cam cover. This procedure positions the cams in the best
unloaded valve spring position.
8. Holding belts and sprockets in position, unlock tensioner bolt allowing tension
to spring into position. Torque tensioner bolt to 27-38 ft/lbs (37-52 N.m).
9. Rotate engine clockwise two complete turns and verify matching marks on
cam and crank sprockets.
10. Check timing belt deflection, it should be within .300-.330/22 lbs (7.5-8.5
mm/98 N). If it is not, replace the tensioner spring and retest.
The AERA Technical Committee
Looking for replacement KIA engines? Visit our online Rebuilt Engines Store. Need to fix your KIA engine? Access here the comprehensive online repair guide for your KIA engine. Click Here to find a used KIA engine.
Shop online for auto body parts, engines, wheels, lights...
|2002 KIA RIO Bumper Cover, Front, With holes for air and fog light; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement bumper cover..||$188.64|
|2003 KIA Spectra Bumper Cover, Front.||$152.45|
|2006 Kia Spectra 15" Aftermarket Wheel Covers, Aftermarket Wheel Covers; 15 Inch; Silver Finish; ABS; 6 Spoke; Metal Clip Retention, , .||$30.50|
|1998 KIA Sephia LS L4, 1.8 L, 1793 CC Rebuilt Engine, Warranty: 3-Year/100,000 Mile, .||Ad Hoc|
|2004 Kia Amanti Used Upper Control Arm, Passenger Side, 3.5, AUTO, FWD R., Very Good.||$108.00|
|2004 Kia Amanti Used Wheel, (16x6-1/2), Very Good.||$98.00|